One of the advantages of having natural stone is its long-lasting beauty. All natural stones are beautiful in their own way, subject to variations in colour, grain structure, tonality and veining. Like everything that is natural, care and maintenance is required to keep it looking beautiful. Here are some recommendations for care and cleaning which will help the lasting beauty of your natural stone for years to come.
Sealing natural stone is the most important thing you can do to preserve its beauty for as long as possible. Using a penetrating sealer provides more thorough protection against stains and dulling than a simple coating sealant. All our stones are factory sealed before dispatch. You can maintain this by applying a stone sealer once or twice a year. Stone sealers can be found at your local DIY stores. Follow the instructions by the sealer manufacturer strictly.
Caring for a stone sink is not nearly as complicated as cleaning manufacturers would have you believe.
- Clean stone regularly by using a soft cloth or sponge with a solution of mild detergent or a stone detergent and warm water.
- Keep surfaces dust free. Do not allow deposits to build up on stone surface.
- To reduce the appearance of staining, always wipe up spills immediately.
- Oil and highly-pigmented liquids can penetrate and stain the stone.
- Avoid exposure to acidic foods such as lemons or tomatoes.
- Avoid abrasive cleaners, abrasive cleaning tools and acidic cleaners. ammonia, vinegar, alcohol, window cleaners.
- Do not rub stone with abrasive cleaning materials: scouring powders, steel wool, metal brushes etc.